Stressed out and not ready to tackle the root cause of the problem just yet? These 5 quick and easy techniques will leave you feeling instantly calmer and in a better position to face the rest of the day. They take between just 5 and 30 minutes, so squeezing one in shouldn’t be difficult.
1. Breathing exercise: Focus on your breathing and take a slow, deep breath in. Keep the focus whilst you breath out slowly and smoothly. Repeat until you feel calm. Approx. 2 mins.
2. Progressive Muscle Relaxation: Lie down, then tense your feet and hold for 5 seconds. Let it go and think about how relaxed they now feel. Repeat the process for different areas of your body, working in turn from your feet, through your calves, thighs, abdomen, shoulders, arms and face. Finally, tense your whole body for 5 seconds and then relax. Approx. 5 mins.
3. Phone a friend: Better still, meet up with a friend for a cup of tea or a coffee. The saying goes, “a problem shared is a problem halved” so talk about how you’re feeling. Even if you’re not ready to share, chatting with a friend allows you to gain perspective and feel like a valued friend. Approx. 10 mins.
4. Soak in the bath: Take some time out to relax in the bath away from it all. If you struggle sleeping then taking a bath first can help send the right messages to your body. Approx. 20 mins.
5. Take a walk: Taking a walk shifts your focus and provides fresh air, allowing you to feel as if you’ve “cleared your mind”. Make it a brisk walk and you’ll benefit from physiological changes in the brain that sooth and relax you. Approx. 30 mins.